How can I contact you?
Probably the easiest way is by email: cidneyswanson at gmail dot com But you’re also welcome to tweet @cidneyswanson or visit my facebook author page https://www.facebook.com/cidneyswanson
What books have you written? What are you working on?
I’m the author of the three books in the Ripple Trilogy: RIPPLER, CHAMELEON, and UNFURL, as well as the books in the Saving Mars Series: SAVING MARS, DEFYING MARS, LOSING MARS, and MARS BURNING. There will be two more installments in the Mars series. I have other works forthcoming and more ideas than I could possibly act upon.
My book group is reading RIPPLER. Do you have discussion questions available?
- Describe Sam’s friendship with Will. How does it change as the novel progresses?
- What challenges does Sam face at the beginning of the story? How do these change (or recede) as the story progresses?
- Many of the characters in the novel have experienced death first-hand (within their immediate family.) Some have not. How are these two groups (those who’ve known death and those who haven’t) different from one another?
- The children in the black book experiments experienced the death of their fellows. How would you surmise that this has affected them?
- What central theme (or themes) in the novel did you find most interesting?
- Non-literal invisibility is central to this book. Trace Sam’s journey from the novel’s beginning to end.
- At Illilouette Creek, Mickie is furious at Will for sharing what he knows. Is her heart in the right place or not? How about by the book’s end? Has she changed?
- How does the writer use the device of the journal entries to tell the story? What do these entries accomplish?
- Compare and contrast the lives of Will and Sam. How do two such different people come to be friends? What one thing do you think each would value most highly about the other?
How did you come up with the idea for The Ripple Series?
Like CS Lewis, who reports coming up with the idea for his Narnia series from a single image (in his case: a faun in a wood, carrying a package), I encountered the first idea for my series as an image. I saw a girl gazing into the Merced River in California and then vanishing from sight. I was curious about two things immediately. Why did the girl disappear, and why didn’t she seem to know she had disappeared? I had to write the story to find answers.
I am a book reviewer/book blogger and would like to request a review copy.
Send an email to me at cidneyswanson at gmail dot com. Please include your website URL and your name when you email me. Thanks!
Will you help me with my homework (writing about your book, interviewing an author, etc)? Will you give me writing advice?
Unfortunately I can’t help with homework or I’d never get the next book written. But you can look through my blog to find bits of writing advice, and the discussion questions above might give you a few ideas if you need a paper topic for a book report. And if you are a book blogger, you are welcome to request an interview or guest post.